Arkansas Hospice

News

Arkansas Hospice Honors Veterans in Monticello

12/15/2017

Arkansas Hospice, the state’s largest provider of hospice services, presented a program Friday, December 8th for residents of The Woods of Monticello. The program, titled “Honoring Veterans,” included an introductory pledge of allegiance, and singing of our National Anthem by University of Arkansas Monticello student Jonathan Cruz.

 Keynote speaker K. David “Doc” Kenser presented residents and employees of The Woods who are veterans a challenge coin to thank and honor them for their service. Kenser serves as the Veteran Services Coordinator for Arkansas Hospice. He is a VA Accredited Claims Agent through the General Council’s office, an Affiliate with the Department of Veteran Affairs and a County Veteran Service Officer with the Arkansas Department of Veteran Affairs. 

 During his address, Kenser spoke of “the other 1%” who sacrifice their comfort and safety in order to keep “the other 99%” safe. Doc, who is a partially disabled vet himself, is passionate about helping veterans get the benefits they have earned and ensuring that they receive the respect and careful attention their service should afford them.  Informational resources from Arkansas Hospice were also provided to assist residents and their spouses claim veteran’s benefits, plan advanced directives, and more.

At the close of the program, local volunteer Barbara Benton provided and served attendees refreshments. A familiar face to The Woods, Ms. Benton was warmly welcomed, as her love for the residents and staff was apparent by everyone’s reactions.

 At its core, the mission of Arkansas Hospice is to enhance the quality of life. As the first hospice organization in the nation to employ a fully accredited veteran’s claims agent as its Veterans Service Coordinator, and with one out of four dying Americans being a veteran, it is only fitting for Arkansas Hospice to provide additional educational and informative services regarding benefits as a means to honor those who have served.

In the coming months, Arkansas Hospice will present “Honoring Veterans” in other locations throughout its 42 county service area. The nonprofit organization provides hospice care across Chicot, Drew, and Desha counties from its area office in Monticello.

Back to News Listing